It’s great that a single language unites us all and I love how English has become your most valuable asset when you travel. No matter how far in this world you travel, if you know a bit of English you will be fine. On their counterpart, restaurants, hotels, coffee shops, all now hire qualified staff and English is a prerequisite.
But not all of them have the resources for fancy training, or hiring people with a diploma so many do the work by themselves, considering they have enough knowledge to cover all what is need.
- To prove our point, let’s start with a few messages people find in hotels where English is not their mother tongue:
- The lift is being fixed for the next day. During that time, we regret that you will be unbearable. (hotel lobby, Bucharest)
- If you cannot reach a fire exit, close the door and expose yourself at the window. (hotel, Finland)
- Customers are expected to complain at the office between the hours of 9 and 11 AM daily. (hotel, Athens)
- You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid. (hotel, Tokyo)
You can see where we I’m going here, right? Well this kind of funny translations happen all over the places. Let’s move to restaurants, you can watch The Graham Norton Show, they’ve spotted a few hilarious ones.
And then of course we have sign of street, shops, airport, you name it. They are all filled with funny translations. Here are just a few:
Have you spotted one? Share it with us!